Sunday, January 16, 2011

Another "All Clear" - Over A YEAR!!


Arleigh thinks all this is so much hot air!

My last CT scan was January 7 of this year. During my doctor's appt. on the 11th I was given the "all clear". I do have some spots she's watching: it's radiation fibrosis. Those "spots" are by the scar tissue in the left lung and have not changed from previous scans.

I must be a vain person because I am still crying over my lost hair. I know, I know, I have hair that is at least 3" long (no Rapunzel yet). Bozo yes, Barbie no. It's so shockingly curly that I can't even blow dry bangs (you know, the fringe around my face). The darned hair just keeps curling right up. My sister-in-law Nancy is a beautician (that means making people - i.e. me - beautiful) and I do have an appointment with her this week. We're going to experiment to see what can be done to make me look like a sexy bombshell instead of Grandma Standley. Yes, my grandmother was a beautiful grandmother, I just don't want to look like her right now. In 15 years I would be flattered, but right now -- WAHHH!!!

So there you have it, folks. I'm still crying the blues. Just over my hair. I realize now just how much hair can change the entire aspect of first impression.

The cough. The Advair has really helped this yucky old cough (radiation pneumonitis). Seems to have come back a little over the past three weeks. Not as bad, but a bit of coughing now and then...dry cough. The nurse called me after my visit with the "all clear" diagnosis and said one of my blood labs came back high and I'll need to redo that next week. Maybe even redo the CT scan. I'll not borrow trouble until I need to. What has Aisling (my 15-year-old daughter) convinced me of? I've been weaning myself off an anti-depressant I had been taking this past year (since I'm Miss Vim, Vigor, Voluptuous - 10# more voluptuous than previous)and don't feel the need for it. Citalapram. Awful stuff trying to get off of it. Makes my brain feel as if it's on a roller coaster while the rest of my body is standing still. A bit disorienting. I did wean myself over a month - guess it takes longer. Back to the main thread...this drug probably has skewed my blood tests according to Ling. The way I feel, I believe her.

All of you who know me know that I usually am a 6 hours of sleep person. This past month I've been setting my alarm clock! I can sleep for 10 hours. Thank you citalapram. Another side effect of withdrawal. Wouldn't you think I'd be absolutely gorgeous by now what with all that sleep? I still look like Fern Agnes. Ha ha.

All joking aside, I'm delighted and filled with wonder and gratitude each day when I awaken. I poke fun of my hair, but THANK YOU, GOD! I HAVE HAIR and curly hair (be careful what you wish for) and eyelashes and my same old eyebrows. I'm starting a new business with my daughters and am EXCITED and busy. The new improved me is coming to the surface. I can hardly wait to see what the three of us will accomplish together.

I'm not sure I was ever the cookie-baking mom, but my energies have always been focused on "momness" and now the circle is complete.

Love to all my friends and family -- JB, you have a birthday coming up next month, don't you? What, 29?





January 16, 2011
8:25 a.m.
West Des Moines - not Ponte Vedra Beach

3 comments:

  1. Dear Susie,
    Just seeing this post too...I continue to think of you and glad your appointments have been positive. You are such a strong person and I know our continued prayers for a full recovery are being answered. Beverly told me about your new business plans and I wish you the best. It is so good to hear you are feeling so well and ready to get on with life.
    Don't worry about your short, curly hair...you look absolutely beautiful!!! Look at this new image in the mirror, as a new and improved Susie.
    I really adore the strength you have shown this past year...and for all of us to realize how precious you are to us. Keep up the positive thoughts and attitude.

    Love you big sis!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

    if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pics are cool. Love your courage and your writing style is great. Nice posting. Keep posting more.

    cancer hospitals philadelphia

    ReplyDelete