Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hats and scarves...

My little sister Stephanie sent me the cutest hats and scarves! Thank you, Lubba...they are darling. I will call you tonight. I prefer scarves and hats to the wig. "Stingly" I think Kasey called what it feels like wearing a wig. Hot, itchy, and honestly, it kind of hurts my head.

In my "radiation support group" a woman (the caregiver of the couple) was telling us how her husband's head hurts from the hair loss. I will try to explain it like this (I can only speak for my own pain)...imagine the hair follicles as little hands holding on for dear life before dropping into an abyss. Then here comes the chemo drug dressed in big army boots, stomping on the hair follicles' little hands, making them let go, as they drop screaming into the eddy below. Okay, so maybe I have too much of an imagination...but that's what it feels like on my head...someone stomping on my scalp to the point where it needs rubbing (and thank you all, I do that myself). And imagine putting a hot wig on top of these little follicles and chemo wearing army boots...makes for a lot going on up there. (smile)

Have changed all my chemo appointments to downtown. I think all the Yuppies must go to the West Side and all the people like me (gregarious) go downtown...since I'm down there everyday for radiation, thought I'd stay for the chemo as well. Apparently the West Side people prefer to be scared and not talk to anyone for support even though the chemo room is set up as a common room which encourages folks to be optimistic with each other; you know, chit-chat, laugh, talk books/movies/stories.


They have little side rooms (like bedrooms) for those who don't want to talk. My question is: if they don't want to talk, why do they? Too hard for me not to respond to people when they talk and since I've been asked NOT to talk to other patients, I'll just go downtown where they encourage patients to support each other through laughter and general conversation, sometimes even just telling their stories. (I did ask the downtown center how they felt about conversing with other people and the answer was positive.) Weird, weird, weird West Side.

Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2010
5:35 a.m.

4 comments:

  1. Seems like the West Side always has a story, right?

    I'm glad you switched it up to somewhere you will be more comfortable. I would love to see pictures of all the hats and scarves you have!

    Luv ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really sweet of Stephanie to send those. How thoughtful of her. I'm glad we got to talk today- you sounded great. It's awesome that you are already halfway done with your treatments. This will all be behind you in no time. Just keep your eye on the prize.

    And don't worry about your hair, remember what dad would always say when we'd make fun of him for being bald, a confident, nonchalant, "It's only hair" and you are lucky enough to have the kind of hair that actually grows- unlike my own that just sits there sadly breaking off:(

    I will call you tomorrow afternoon. I love you lots and think of you always. Be strong. Be well. Much love.

    Hugs n Kisses-
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    It sounds like moving to the down town center is going to be so much better for you...a little longer drive, but I know you are a "talker" and say exactly what is on your mind...you have always been well read on any subject...what better place for you to be, than with positive surroundings with people who are going through the same things as you...hearing their stories and being able to feel you can share yours as well with confidence and support of each other.
    Bravo to you, Sis for finding a better fit for your therapies!!!
    Have a restful week end and stay focused and positive.

    I love you,
    Debbie

    P.S- Happy Valentines Day to you, Lauren and Aisling...I was going to say to "you and your girls", but that could be taken wrong to other readers...as saying Happy Valentines day to you and your Boobs? LOL! Have a good one, regardless! xxx-ooo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie - I'm glad you are staying downtown so I get to see you still. You are so encouraging to me. Lauren is such a "beautiful woman" and so inspiring. I could sit and talk to her for hours. You did a great job raising her!

    Happy Valentines Day and see ya on cookie Monday! - Cathy

    ReplyDelete