Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Second round of Chemo

Did a round of cisplatin last Friday and by Saturday night was sick as the proverbial dog (wonder what HE ATE to get so sick)...maybe drinking out of the toilet bowl? Not mine! I did ask the doctor about my dog drinking toilet water even if I flushed all the chemo urine/vomit down and he said it wasn't a good idea. I keep my lids closed now and check and recheck...don't want my lil Scooter dog to get sick.

My friend Beth made record time getting to Iowa on Sunday and arrived around 7:30 pm. The interstate was dry but once she got off in West Des Moines, slid through several intersections. She's from Wisconsin but she said Iowa looks like Alaska with all the huge snow banks and drifts. Wisconsin should be colder, it's further north. Global warming!

Upchucked breakfast and went on to VP16 Monday morning after radiation at the Cancer Center. These nurses here know what they're doing! Barely felt when they poked me with the IV needle. Thank you, Lord, for making my veins nice and fat. Took much longer than the 1 1/2 hours anticipated and didn't get home until almost 12:30. By then I was famished and Subway answered that call.

This morning (Tuesday), woke up early feeling nauseous and ate about two bites of oatmeal and the same of toast. Am trying a Sunkist soda....that sounds a lot better than 7-up or Pepsi. Haven't had either one of those...or coffee...for a week or so.

Ah, remembering the days when I could chug a Pepsi or swill a 7-Up in 0 to 3 seconds flat. March 1, according to my calculations, is my last day of radiation. Anyone out there know how long before my eating improves after ending radiation? I'm so so SO looking forward to eating without getting acid reflux or emesis.

Back to the grind today....

Tuesday, February 16, 2010
5:37 a.m.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back - trying to talk myself into the shower before work - 16 inches of snow out there - but no hair to dry! :) Are they giving you Emend after your Cisplatin? I got 3 days worth each time and it really helped with the nausea - ask for it if they haven't offered! I healed up pretty quickly after radiation - 10 days or so and I was eating with no burny feeling - reflux was bad, but I had the weird swelling too, where even little bites felt way too big to swallow - so I would just chew stuff beyond recognition, and then tissue it out and throw it away. It gets better. Depending on how your veins hold up, you may want a port later - get a power port or double port - go deluxe - I wish I had! Have a great day today - we're getting better all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Beth is there with you guys. I am so excited that you all will be out here visiting me next weekend (wow, next weekend already?).

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Susie! I am praying for you every week. I can only imagine the nastiness of all this, and keep thinking of the payoff, YOU!!!! Alive! You!!! I miss you!
    Love - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My computer is back! I only missed one post. I hope you are still feeling up to coming up next weekend, I'm so excited to see you. Sebastian has been saving his extra hair to make you a beautiful fluffy blonde wig. Ha ha. Can you imagine what that wig would look like?!?! It would definitely be shaped like a mohawk and smell like a skunk. He he he. Quit drinking soda for the love... water water water.. the nectar of life. Purify cleanse and flush out the toxins. You've never drank enough water. Thorspring is now called Iceland Springs, it's delicious- otherwise chippewa water tastes pretty good too. If you need bubbles have a perrier... it comes sparkling right out of the ground just like magic. You're almost done with all this. Stay strong. It'll be over before you know it. I love you so much.
    Love love love-
    Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I bet scout is angry as hell that you cut off his toilet drinking privileges. There is nothing more adorable then a soaking wet Scout face dripping with cold toilet water. No wonder Sebastian always beats the living $%&* out of him. He he he.

    ReplyDelete