Wednesday, January 27, 2010

La, la, lovely Lauren....



My 27-year-old daughter Lauren (aka Bubby) gave up her Chicago job and address and moved to Iowa to be with me during my treatment and recovery. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude that any of my kids would do this.

Since Aisling (my 14-year-old) and Scout (my retarded 3-year-old little boy dog)are the only family that has lived with me since 2003, it is so nice to have another adult here. Am I taking advantage of it? Who? Me? That would be a definite YES!



I am selfish enough to glory in Lauren's being home. You have to understand Lauren. She's a natural optimist. When she was a baby, I can't recall her crying. She used to lay on the floor and play - with her hands, toys, air, spit bubbles, you name it, she was entranced by it. (No, she wasn't retarded; just a very happy baby.) By the time she was 18 months, she was doing 50 and 100 piece puzzles. Couldn't understand a thing she said, but you knew she was smart as a whip - and always happy with whatever she could find to entertain herself. Gullible too. My oldest daughter Allison convinced Lauren she was adopted by us from an Eskimo family and that she, Lauren, should pack her bags and go live in an unfinished house in our development until her REAL parents came for her. (Yes, Allison, you always did want to be an only child.) Thank goodness you weren't though, or guess who'd be living with me, taking "care" of me at 7 months pregnant? You, that's who!

(From left: Kokotts: Lauren, Katie, Allison, Aisling, non-Kokott Christy)

Lauren is giving up her slice of Chicago life. She will never know how much I appreciate her putting her life on hold for me. Being here for me. Keeping me, while not exactly excited to go to the YMCA, feeling guilty enough to actually go a few times a week.

I hope my fatigue doesn't quench her innate good spirits. Thank you, Bubby.

January 27, 2010
4:16 a.m.

8 comments:

  1. "No, she wasn't retarded; just a very happy baby." That quote made my day! LOL!!

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - good-looking girls are a dime a dozen, but Kokott girls are a dozen diamonds! I can sum it up in two words: hubba-hubba!

    Of course, they come from good stock, so it stands to reason.

    However, I understand Lauren's still fascinated by spit-bubbles - HA!

    But good on Lauren for setting aside things to help you, Susie. She's simply paying you back for the years of you being there for her, so it's the circle of life, Simba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mark and Kate for posting comments. It's nice to know I'm not typing to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nuts, I'll post sports and weather, if you'd like, with 15-minute traffic updates! Trust me, everything you post is read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie Q-
    I am on top of every post you have written and awaiting your next story of what is happening in your day. You are not typing to yourself or for your own well being... I am there for you and with you as your travel this journey. My thoughts and prayers are there with you in spirit, as I go through this with you!
    Hope your day is better than yesterday and not as well as tomorrow...well, hopefully better?? Hang in there!
    Love you big sis!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just noticed:
    I am so computer illiterate...I have no clue as to how to I can make myself other than "ANONYMOUS", but guess if I can get through to you this way, this will have to work...thank you to Lauren for giving me some "clues" yesterday to getting on this site. THANK YOU!
    Susie, Lauren will have to be my teacher in all of this new technology.
    You have taught her well! :)))

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was not the only one who was telling her to find her real Eskimo family. Katie and Jonny were with me 100% of the way packing her bags and showing her the curb. I'm tired of always being made out to be the mean one. And when do you plan on telling her about her true Eskimo heritage???
    Ali Baba

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah mom, wasn't the mailman an Eskimo?

    ReplyDelete