Friday, January 22, 2010

My Long Day of Chemo

Arrived at the Cancer (free) Center at 10 am and returned home at 3:10. LONG day. Met more nice ladies. Seems as though everyone I meet is being chemo'd for breast cancer. Almost everyone is bald and is nearing the end of their treatment session.

I still have 12 chemo sessions left stretched over the next 4 or 5 months. Another almost 5 weeks of radiation. I am starting to develop esophagitis (sp?) which means that my esophagus is becoming a bit inflamed or something so it's hard to swallow; or after you swallow, the need for a long stick to poke everything down into the stomach might seem a handy thing to have. This is why many people who have radiation near that area lose weight - they go on a liquid diet (and NOT a liquor diet!!)Although if I could go on a liquor diet, I bet I would be really funny and have a bit more energy; of course I would - I'd be picking myself up from the floor, rolling down hills, falling up steps. Ohhhh, what an image that makes.



The above is a picture (2 years old - sorry I swapped out my harddrive which is now a SLAVE and haven't copied all my photos, music, and data to my new drive)portrays my kids, along with me and my sister-in-law Tessa.

My kids have been my salvation.

When I learned I had cancer on Weds., Dec. 2, 2009, I didn't call my kids until the next day. I needed a bit of time to understand that these things were being said about me. It wasn't anywhere near the end of the world as when I received the news of my husband's malignant melanoma, but it was rather nightmarish. I didn't cry, I really couldn't even think straight enough to ask any pertinent questions. Just kind of shook the doctor's hand as I told him "thank you" for letting me know. Larry was with me and he picked up the reins for the rest of that visit and called his doctor friend who called his doctor friend and got me in to a thoracic surgeon the next Monday and surgery the next Friday (12/11). I just sat back and let Larry row that boat - dead weight; yup, that was me. Semi-conscious dead weight with a quirky little smile on my face. I couldn't hear anything anybody said and just wanted to come home and sleep.

I called my adult children on Thursday; I don't remember the order, not that it matters. But Katie (my organizer - or Simon of my chipmunks) got things organized: who was going to come and stay with Aisling and Scout while I was in the hospital.
Who would help me until I felt good enough to go grocery shopping and walking around (shortness of breath and the pain was pretty awful for the first few weeks.)

Thank you Kate for being with me during my meeting with the thoracic surgeon and to hear the diagnosis go from 1a to 2b. Thank you for taking notes because honestly, I didn't remember much of what the doctor actually said. I was on autopilot.

Lauren and Larry were waiting for me after surgery. My wonderfully beautiful sister Kaydee wanted to stay with me in the hospital and be my guardian angel. Allison, my oldest daughter who will deliver my granddaughter in March, came and stayed from 12/13 until 12/22. Then Kate and Pat, and Lauren and Jonny came home on the 23rd for Christmas. That was one of the perks of being diagnosed. The kids really weren't coming home this year for Christmas - Terry and Allison McFarlan weren't able to make it because they both worked the next day (they live in Lake Geneva, WI via Scottsdale, AZ). Kate and Pat McFarlan weren't going to be able to come due to other commitments, but made it after all (they live in Chicago, IL via Scottsdale, AZ) and my little brown boy, Jonny Kokott decided to put me on his priority list and came home with Lauren Kokott (Milwaukee and Chicago respectively) but unfortunately they left the 26th early as Lauren had to be back at work.

I have to add (smile) that my daughters Allison and Kathleen met two Tempe brothers when they were attending ASU and both my girls realized what wonderful men Terry and Pat are...and now they're my sons-in-law. How lucky can a woman get? Not much luckier than that.

I had convinced Terry to come "home" (to West Des Moines) in Sept. and October to help me finish painting the exterior of my house. I had gotten the 1st floor painted, and the overhang and gutters but was afraid to venture too high on the ladder. While I wasn't running a marathon pre-diagnosis, I was very busy trying to paint before the weather got too cold.

The above paragraphs do nothing to convey the wonder and nurturing of hope I felt when Larry, Kate, Pat, Allie, Terry, Jonny, Lauren, Kaydee, Aisling, my big sister Anne Marie (Princess of Everything), my brothers John and Pat...my friends Beth and Marie gave me encouragement from afar as well as some of my own back at me to make me laugh.

I'm sure I'll have to edit this because it isn't written well because it doesn't convey articulately how much these people impacted my well-being.

I'll relook at this in the morning.

January 22, 2010
12:43 a.m.

5 comments:

  1. Susie....It's so fantastic that you're able to convey with words in this blog a portion of what makes you charasmatic and magnetic....your witty, hilarious and intelligent ways of speaking! Your words are powerful in this blog because you describe things in a way that made me both cry and laugh..and although that's frustrating to go through that gambit of emotions all at once....I felt connected to you and not like I haven't seen you for 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you mentioned the chemo farts in one of your entries....I thought of a night at your house when Lauren and I were in middle school or high school and a chunk of your family and a couple of our friends were packed into your computer room/den on Church street in Elkhorn, Wi., which was small quarters for as many people as we had in there and I accidentally..farted...and without skipping a beat, very bluntly, you ask, "Did you just FART?!?!" I was mortified and will never forget that memory of trying to casually say "excuse me" in front of everyone while not letting my cheeks burn my face off! Being around you taught me to be on my toes and to try to muster up witty responses for the things that you might call me out on!! hahaha. No wonder I love Lauren so much...she has your sense of humor, Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, what a beautiful family you have! Especially the blonde in the purple dress-haha! JK!

    I saw the funniest get well card yesterday. The front was a picture of a woman in a hospital bed with an IV drip. In the IV drip, rather than a bag of fluid, was a bottle of gin. On the inside it said, "I have a feeling you are going to get better very soon" Hahah! Maybe you could have them swap in some white wine during your chemo cocktail...I mean, what could it hurt, right?

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gobes, Mom and I were laughing hysterically at your memory...I can just IMAGINE your face right now. You're so funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Its always nice to meet another sassy cancer fighter. Sounds like your family has been an incredible cheering team. I applaud you all for resilience and sense of humor. Both are crucial. That and the occasional tequila shot.

    ReplyDelete