Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Onliest Big Sister Anne Marie

When I was a little girl, I had a sister 17-months older than me who was definitely Anne, the Princess of Everything (that was the name of a book). My grandmother was Anne, my mom was Anne, and my big sister is Anne. We sat across the table from each other and I copied her exactly. I ate with the "same" hand, she ate with her right and I was her mirror image, eating with my left. We'd even sit on the toilet together (yes, I really remember that.) She'd brush right-handed, I would brush left-handed so we'd both fit in by the sink. She was everything to me after Mom and my trumpet-playing Dad.

We both got married and moved out of Des Moines. My journey away lasted 25 years. She lives in Vancouver, WA. Because our parents died young (mom at 39, dad early onset Alzheimer's diagnosed and institutionalized at 54) we are all we have (plus our various significant others, best friends, and children).

Anne Marie continues to be my inspiration and my role model. She has it together in a way that defies any attempt at imitation on my part. She sends me motivational books and reminds me there is a larger universe outside of the one that revolves around me.

Anne Marie, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment