Monday, January 25, 2010

My blog on brother John (sibling #8)

It's been a few days since I've posted. The double-dip of chemo on Friday left me feeling so nauseous and pretty wiped out. I convinced myself that I would feel just as crappy on a ladder painting as I was feeling making wrinkles in my couch so painted the guest bath, made spaghetti sauce and meatballs, and even (thank you, Lauren) went walking at the YMCA for 40 minutes. I did come home after that day and sleep.

I wanted to talk about my brother Johnny. I am the second oldest of ten siblings - all of whom are the star in funny, sad, weird events that occurred when we were growing up. Funny how our memories place each of us in that starring role. Regardless, I remember begging Mom to "have another baby". The baby I "got" was my brother John. I was maybe 11 or so when he was born and a cuter baby boy you've never seen. He was my own living doll. When I was home from school and on weekends, he was attached to my hip. If he'd get scared or hurt as a little boy, he had to find me to get comfort. I remember a time when Mom and the other "big kids" (Anne Marie, Debbie, Mike) and me would sit in a circle with Johnny in the middle....every single time - he came to me. I loved him then as much as I love him now.

When my husband died, Johnny came for the funeral and made me laugh so hard I snorted. He's an all around great guy, great brother.

He called me the other day and said if he could take this cancer away from me upon himself he'd do it in a heartbeat. He said it didn't seem fair after the loss my family has taken from my husband's death. He made me cry saying how much he loved me and why couldn't this have been his instead of mine.

Intellectually I know there are no deals to be made with either the devil or God, but I knew he meant each word that he said. My brother John lives in Chicago and is the best dog groomer around (www.cleandogchicago.com).

Thank you, Johnny. I love you.

6 comments:

  1. My hometown is Chicago. I shall send all my pooch owner pals to your bro's shop!

    Laughter is terrific therapy. Especially when fueled by bourbon. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle John definitely is the best dog groomer around- though I doubt he could budge the smell of my two smelly skunk-a-doos. Ha ha ha.
    Love you mama.
    Allison xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to show us all up Uncle John!

    XOXO
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, wonderful "smile-inducing" stories, and what a "life-pool" to drawn from - stories around every bend with Standleys as far as the eye can see! You've probably forgotten more stories than most have experienced!

    But what's REALLY fun about those childhood stories is when one of the participants in the tale recalls something long overlooked that simply adds to the recipe!

    Now as someone from the East Coast, I'm fascinated by two things - the similarities and the differences in our respective childhoods. 2,000 miles away and you guys played the same games and watched the same shows we did, yet never have experienced such diabetes-inducing delights as Yodels (at least so I've been told).

    But your storytelling skills are the equivalent to a gentle "soul-scratch" - just feels sooooo good.

    And honestly - can you ever smile enough?

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW - I get SUCH a kick out of your "Inspector Clouseau" profile pic! Still searching for clues?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Susie! He some times crawled to me too...where were you when he needed his diaper changed??? I want to hear that story...Just kidding!!!

    Hope you are having a good day.
    Love and hugs to you!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete