Thursday, March 18, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Today is another anniversary of my 39th birthday and I'm feeling pretty good! The temperature is supposed to get up to 63 degrees (yeah!) and the sun is actually shining. These last several weeks (especially from the 26th of February til now) have been the hardest in terms of fatigue and feeling sick that I've ever been through in my life. I'm able to keep food down at least even though the acid reflux from radiation and chemo is still horrible - just not AS horrible. I'm finally feeling like my "strength" is coming back (or is that just the sunshine?)today as I've actually done housework (much needed) most of the morning without too many "breaks" on the couch.

Lexy, my Chicago daughter's Chow/Lab mix is with us and she is keeping our dog Scout on his toes...or rather, she's keeping him in hiding. He's afraid of her and won't come out from his hiding spots. Poor little guy.

I have until the 29th to decide if I'm going to do these last 3 rounds of taxotere. I've read a lot of scary stuff about it (permanent hair loss and gnarly toenails and fingernails forever) and discussed it with the doctor. I don't know that this will do a whole lot but the doctor thinks it will help protect the next 50 years. She says the hardest thing about being a younger person with lung cancer is all the years she has to protect. If I were 80, there wouldn't be all that many years. Good and bad.

Have a date for lunch (woo-hoo) and then out to a 3D movie tonight with friends...am very excited to see "Alice". What a great day to be out of the house!

March 18, 2010

9:27 a.m.

2 comments:

  1. Happy (late) Birthday - it's beautiful in Indiana too, for one more day. I hope it was a great day for you and I'm so glad you're feeling better. Me too. I'm at work right now. Taped my wig on, drew on a set of awesome eyebrows, shadowed under my eyes a little to compensate for no lashes, put on a new suit and came out to meet the world again. But it's so pretty out, I'm thinking of bailing early - need to run by the health food store anyway.

    Don't really know what to tell you about the Taxotere, except that I'm doing it in the form of Abraxane - no guts, no glory! And you're right - we need to bank against the future. If the side effects are too terrible, don't do it - but if you can manage it - I say go for it. It's like a booster shot.

    As far as the permanent hair loss thing - right now I'm growing a little fuzz back on my head. And I've lost 4 toenails, (right before sandal season - go figure) but they came off clean and look to be reforming well. My fingernails are fine. The worst side effect I have I have is the peripheral and visual neuropathy, and Abraxane is notorious for that. I've been haunting health food stores for different naturopathic remedies - it seems a little better - or maybe it's the weather :)- I'm also saving up my (former) massage money for an acupuncturist - I've heard acupuncture can help reverse the nerve damage. I miss my massages, but they were a luxury I just can't afford - maybe I can get my husband to do more.

    We're having family over Sunday for a big dinner - I haven't cooked for them all since before the holidays - going to do corned beef and cabbage - for St. P Day and my daughter's 24th birthday today. So I absolutely have to clean the house tomorrow - no more excuses. It's one thing to be so sick you live with it, but if you're going to have people in - No Way!!

    I did make a trip to a greenhouse and bought 2 flats of the first pansies of the season - half with faces to make me smile and half violas that flutter and dance, even if there's no wind. Made me happy to put them out - it's supposed to snow a little Sunday, but they look hardy.

    Better get back to work - have a great weekend and take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - forget to sign my name! Kaysey.

    ReplyDelete