Monday, March 29, 2010

Taxotere starts today

Am leaving in an hour and a half for the hospital to do labs, talk to the doc about results of the CT scan I had done last Thursday and start the 1st of 3 rounds of taxotere.

I have been very on the fence about doing this last chemo. While it's not as harsh on the body as Cisplatin (which really made me sick to my stomach), there are side effects that, while though rare, do occur and can cause permanent damage to organs, nails, hair, as well as neuropathy. I have been praying for guidance about whether to take this chemo or not. The doctor said she hasn't seen any permanent effects in any of her patients.

While I was at a Grapeviners' luncheon, a guest "Grapeviner" was there who is an 8-year survivor of breast cancer. She marveled that I hadn't lost my eyelashes or eyebrows although, sadly, my hair (on my head) didn't survive chemo. As we talked she encouraged me to go through these last three rounds...yes, I might get some of the side effects; but as with radiation and my last chemo, the side effects do abate at some point.

I am able to swallow; the horrible acid that caused me to throw up each time I'd take a bite of something is all but gone. I still have a cough - radiation pneumonitis? I'll hear some answers today.

My daughter from Chicago is coming for a short visit (and to pick up her dog) and I'm excited. Still haven't seen my grandbaby, but am hopeful that after
Easter I'll be in Lake Geneva holding and kissing my little Arleigh Kane.

To all for reading/following my blog, thank you and God bless! (I'm feeling good.)

March 29, 2010
7:37 a.m.

1 comment:

  1. You still have eyelashes? I am extremely jealous - I've been drawing on my eyebrows since January - but on the other hand, I have NO HAIR ON MY BODY - anywhere! Even the stubborn little chin hair has gone away. All except the fuzzy stuff growing on my head. I'm hoping for hair by winter. September is most likely, since they say it takes 6 months to grow an established headfull.

    I'm so glad you're feeling good. It's been a long time since I can say that - I'm really looking forward to it. I want to feel well - I want to laugh at something and not have it turn into crying, or just enjoy a drive without creepy stuff poking into my brain uninvited. I have a new (7 mos now) grandbaby and he's a lot of fun - so I know you'll enjoy the granddaughter. And just in time for Easter! With a new dress and tights - and teeny tiny patent leather shoes - soooo much fun.

    Take good care of yourself and enjoy your new freedom. Aren't second chances wonderful?

    Love, Kaysey

    ReplyDelete